The Liaison Officer Programm
The Programme “Addressing social consequences of the conflict in Donbas and the illegal annexation of Crimea with support to Ukrainian government bodies and local civil society” (The Liaison Officer Program) is implemented by Canadian Non Governmental Organization Stabilization Support Services with the financial support of the UK Government.
The Programme includes 25 Liaison Officers that provide consultations to specialists of the social protection system on local and national level in order to deal with problems of IDPs. The Programme was launched in September 2015 as a response to problems that arose as a result of the armed conflict in the East of Ukraine and the illegal annexation of Crimea.
The mission of the Programme is to support cooperation between executive authorities and civil society organizations for successful reforms of social institutions and the creation of a social State subjected to the rule of law.
About Stabilization Support Services in Ukraine
Stabilization Support Services is a Non-Governmental Canadian Organization, which has been operational in Ukraine since 2015 and working together with Ukrainian governmental institutions and Ukrainian Civil Society Organizations to support governmental reform efforts and the development of sustainable social services in Ukraine for IDPs. SSS also supports the development of technical expertise and capability among Ukrainian governmental institutions.
SSS utilizes the skills and expertise of key personnel in specialized areas including systems design, financial implementation, international logistics and operations, and cross-sectoral programming capabilities in order to support the development of a stable, prosperous and resilient Ukraine.
The office in Ukraine is overseen by the head office of Stabilization Support Services and operates within the framework of the national legislation for the development of a stable and prosperous state.
SSS gender policy
We, Stabilization Support Services, declare that gender inequality is a fundamental cause for poverty, instability, discrimination and violence. By this gender policy we declare the general directions and principles of our activities, which at all times must be aimed at preventing all forms of discrimination, creating gender-sensitive programme planning, and strengthening the role of women and girls in the society.
Our organization is focused on gender equality and equity, that in every way possible we must contribute to strengthening the role of women and girls in the society, that we must be aware and constantly investigate special needs of women, girls, men, boys, persons with non-binary gender identity and LGBTQ+ communities.
We strive that each person identifying himself/herself with our organization, representing it or its interests in public, fulfilling the contracts of our organization, understands, treats and behaves in a way to promote gender equality and equity. All of our activities are subject to continuous monitoring and transparent reporting to all stakeholders in accordance with gender indicators, and a part of our resources are aimed to promote gender equality and prevent gender-based violence.
We exert joint efforts to ensure equal opportunities and gender equality be our goals, be the focus of our strategic development, a part of organizational culture and behaviour and public image.
We define gender equality as a fair treatment of women and men and those who do not identify themselves with a particular gender based on the understanding of their needs. This may include both equal treatment and different treatment, which is considered to be equivalent in the context of rights, privileges, obligations and opportunities. In the context of the development the gender equality goals are often required measures aiming to compensate historical and social disadvantages of women.
We are aware of the fact that the concept of gender equality does not imply the necessity to define men and women as one notion, it is based on the fact that their rights, obligations and opportunities must not depend on whether they were born male or female. Gender equality is not a women’s issue exclusively, it should also address men to the full extent.
We acknowledge the following methods available to us to achieve gender equality:
- Strategy for achieving gender equality;
- Gender assessment of programme impact;
- Regular trainings and educational sessions to raise awareness on gender issues;
- Gender analysis for sensitive decision-making;
- Information campaigns to raise awareness on the problems and opportunities of women, men and persons with non-binary gender identity;
- Lobbying for gender-sensitive legislative initiatives;
- Conduct gender expertise of legislative initiatives;
- Partnership with organizations working to establish gender equality and refusal to cooperate with those who openly or non-publicly resort to sexism and discrimination;
- Appoint a responsible person to be responsible for the strategy for gender equality;
- Implement a gender-sensitive policies for hiring staff and contractors;
- Guarantee equal opportunities for efficient work;
- Safe from sexism, ageism and discrimination working environment;
- Monitoring and evaluation of compliance with organization’s Code of Conduct;
- Prevent sexual harassment, sexual exploitation and prevent to use/ provide sexual services;
- Free time or flexible schedule, including remote work for employees who have to provide child care.
- Flexible schedule and other ways to encourage education for women.
Organization’s gender policy is based upon:
- Загальна декларація прав людини / Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- Європейська конвенція про захист прав людини і основоположних свобод / European Convention on Human Rights
- Конвенція Організації Об’єднаних Націй про ліквідацію всіх форм дискримінації щодо жінок / Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW)
- Віденська декларація і Програма дій / Vienna Declaration and Programme of Action
- Пекінська декларація / Beijing Declaration
- Цілі сталого розвитку ООН / United Nationas Sustainable Development Goals
- Національна доповідь «Цілі Сталого Розвитку: Україна»/National report “Sustainable development goals:Ukraine”
- Резолюція Ради Безпеки ООН 1325 «Жінки, мир, безпека» на період до 2020 року / United Nations Security Council Resolution 1325 on Women, Peace and Security
- Національний план дій з виконання резолюції Ради Безпеки ООН 1325 «Жінки, мир, безпека» на період до 2020 року/ National Action Plan for implementation of UNSCR 1325 on Women, Peace and Security until 2020
- Канадська феміністична політика міжнародної допомоги /Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy
- Конвенція Ради Європи про запобігання насильству стосовно жінок і домашньому насильству та боротьбу з цими явищами (Стамбульська конвенція) / Council of Europe Convention on preventing and combating violence against women and domestic violence (Istanbul Convention)
- Закон України «Про забезпечення рівних прав та можливостей жінок і чоловіків»/ The Law of Ukraine on ensuring equal rights and opportunities for women and men
- Закон України «Про засади запобігання та протидії дискримінації в Україні»/ Law of Ukraine On the Principles of Prevention and Counteraction of Discrimination in Ukraine
- Постанова Верховної Ради України «Про Декларацію про загальні засади державної політики України стосовно сім’ї та жінок»/ VRU Resolution On the Declaration on the Common Principles of the State Policy of Ukraine in Respect of Family and Women
- Указ Президента України «Про вдосконалення роботи центральних і місцевих органів виконавчої влади щодо забезпечення рівних прав та можливостей жінок і чоловіків»/ Decree of the President of Ukraine On Improving the Work of Central and Local Executive Bodies on Ensuring the Equal Rights and Opportunities of Women and Men
- Закон України «Про запобігання та протидію домашньому насильству»/Law of Ukraine on Prevention and Combating Domestic Violence